Suicide prevention cannot be overlooked in nurse education
Annessa Rebair @annessarebair Senior lecturer in mental health, Northumbria University, National charity Papyrus Prevention of Young Suicide
Having lost a family member to suicide, I have learned from personal and professional experience the need for awareness to start early
As a young nursing student, the knowledge that I had a duty of care to those in suicidal distress was frightening. Even with 20 years of nursing experience, I am still anxious when I am with someone who is experiencing suicidal distress.
Nursing Standard. 32, 27, 31-31. doi: 10.7748/ns.32.27.31.s23
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to nursingstandard.com and the Nursing Standard app
- The monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now