evidence and practice
Changing needs in advanced dementia
Margaret Brown Senior Lecturer, Alzheimer Scotland Centre for Policy and Practice, University of the West of Scotland, Hamilton, Scotland
Debbie Tolson Professor of Dementia and Director of the Alzheimer Scotland Centre, Alzheimer Scotland Centre for Policy and Practice, University of the West of Scotland, Hamilton, Scotland
Louise Ritchie Lecturer in Dementia, Alzheimer Scotland Centre for Policy and Practice, University of the West of Scotland, Hamilton, Scotland
• To be aware that people living with advanced dementia whose ability to speak is limited may communicate using their body and facial responses
• To identify the changing and complex health needs of people living with advanced dementia
• To recognise the challenges experienced by family carers of people living with advanced dementia
This is the first article in a six-part series in Nursing Older People exploring the nursing care of people living with advanced dementia. This article discusses the changes that may occur as dementia progresses, from the perspective of the individual, their family and other carers.
A person living with advanced dementia is likely to experience physical, cognitive and social changes that can be profound and debilitating. Healthcare needs intensify as new and co-existing issues result in increasing dependency on others for support with activities of daily living. These activities can include eating, drinking, mobility and personal care.
Consequently, family carers may find their role has to develop and change to provide increasing support in response to these complex needs. These increasing needs can result in care transitions to hospitals or care homes. Careful and collaborative management of care is crucial to maintain quality of life for the person with dementia and family carers.
Nursing Older People. doi: 10.7748/nop.2020.e1204Peer review
This article has been subject to external double-blind peer review and has been checked for plagiarism using automated softwareCorrespondence
Brown M, Tolson D, Ritchie L (2020) Changing needs in advanced dementia. Nursing Older People. doi: 10.7748/nop.2020.e1204
Published online: 20 May 2020
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to the website and the online archive
- Bi-monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now