Legal and professional aspects of intravenous therapy
Katie Scales Senior Nurse, Practice Development, ITU, Harefield Hospital, NHS Trust
This article is the fifth in our series on the Scope of Professional Practice and gives an overview of the legal and professional issues surrounding intravenous therapy. It relates to UKCC professional development categories: Care enhancement and Reducing risk
Aim and intended learning outcomes
The aim of this article is to offer the reader an overview of the professional and legal issues surrounding intravenous (IV) therapy. The move away from 'extended role procedures’, and the development of the Scope of Professional Practice (UKCC 1992a) will be discussed in the context of the practical management of this rapidly expanding area of nursing practice.
11, 3, 41-48.
Want to read more?
Already subscribed? Log in
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
Your subscription package includes:
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- Customisable dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now