Prescribers are maxi-nurses, not mini-doctors
Matt Griffiths Visiting professor, Prescribing and medicines management at Birmingham City University
In an overstretched NHS, prescribing enables nurses to be efficient and autonomous
When I started my nursing career in 1989, nurses weren’t allowed to prescribe medicines, not even paracetamol.
Nursing Standard. 35, 3, 35-36. doi: 10.7748/ns.35.3.35.s18
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to nursingstandard.com and the Nursing Standard app
- The monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now