Why is medicines optimisation vital for older people with frailty?
Sue Lyne Nurse consultant, Frailty and older people, East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
Ceri McEwan Medicines optimisation pharmacist, East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust
Medicines optimisation can help ensure polypharmacy is appropriate, the best outcomes are achieved, waste is reduced and safety improved
One quarter of people aged over 60 have two or more long-term conditions including frailty (National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) 2016).
Nursing Older People. 32, 2, 13-13. doi: 10.7748/nop.32.2.13.s11
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to the website and the online archive
- Bi-monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now