Assessing suicide risk in A&E
Les Jones Charge Nurse, A&E Department, Royal London NHS Trust
Les Jones explores some of the issues the psychosocial assessment of suicidal patients
Psychosocial assessment of parasuicide patients often comprises little more than two questions. ‘Did you mean to kill yourself?’ and, ‘do you now feel that you want to kill yourself?’ Unfortunately for hard pressed A&E staff, when time is nearly always at a premium, any meaningful psychosocial assessment should involve a great deal more than this.
Emergency Nurse. 2, 4, 7-9. doi: 10.7748/en.2.4.7.s2
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to the website and the online archive
- Bi-monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now