How do I make residents’ activities meaningful in my care home?
Lynne Phair Independent consultant nurse and expert witness
Activities are not always seen as integral to people’s care and are too often arranged by care home staff instead of registered nurses
It was recognised two decades ago that lack of physical and mental activity, as well as limited social stimulation, have a negative effect on individuals (Phair and Good 1998). This effect is referred to as deconditioning syndrome (Arora 2017) and is becoming better understood.
Nursing Older People.
29, 8, 19-19.
Want to read more?
Already subscribed? Log in
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
Your subscription package includes:
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- Customisable dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now