The cardiovascular system
Alistair Farley Lecturer in Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Dundee
Ella McLafferty Retired, was senior lecturer, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Dundee
Charles Hendry Retired, was senior lecturer, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Dundee
This article, which forms part of the life science series, examines the cardiovascular system, focusing on the anatomy and physiology of the heart. The blood flow through the heart is described and the regulatory mechanisms of the heart are identified and discussed. The cardiac conduction system is examined, outlining the normal sequence of events in the cardiac cycle. In addition, a brief overview of some common cardiac disorders is provided.
27, 9, 35-39.
This article has been subject to double blind peer review
Want to read more?
Already subscribed? Log in
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
Your subscription package includes:
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- Customisable dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now