Proctoclysis: emergency rectal fluid infusion
Vincent Tremayne Nurse adviser, NHS Direct, Southampton, King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Falkland Islands
This article describes the use and effectiveness of proctoclysis (rectal fluid infusion) in providing fluid resuscitation in the absence of intravenous access in rural and remote environments.
Nursing Standard. 24, 3, 46-48. doi: 10.7748/ns2009.09.24.3.46.c7271Correspondence
This article has been subject to double blind peer review
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to nursingstandard.com and the Nursing Standard app
- The monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now