Insider-outsider perspectives of participant observation
Ann Bonner Lecturer and Clinical Nurse Specialist, University of Western Sydney and Westmead Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Gerda Tolhurst Manager, Nursing Professional Develop Unit, Westmead Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Bonner and Gerda Tolhurst provide personal accounts of their experiences in conducting research involving participant observation. Issues discussed include the advantages and disadvantages of nurse researchers as insiders and outsiders. Also considered are strategies used to overcome both researcher effect and participant response to the researcher
9, 4, 7-19.
Want to read more?
Already subscribed? Log in
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
Your subscription package includes:
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- Customisable dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now