Lost for words
Freya Sewell Community mental health nurse, NHS Shetland
How the language we use stigmatises and disempowers service users
Our choice of language expresses something of how we interpret the world. It points to inner thoughts, attitudes and beliefs. Verbalising these further reinforces them. It is important then to attend to language use and its consequences.
Mental Health Practice.
22, 2, 13-13.
Want to read more?
Already subscribed? Log in
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
Your subscription package includes:
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- Customisable dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now