Problems with eating fungi
Clinical Previous     Next

Problems with eating fungi

Frances Northall Information Officer, National Poisons Information Service (London)

Frances Northall describes the symptoms associated with ingesting dubious fungi, the difficulty in identifying syndromes from the patient’s symptoms, and appropriate treatment

Enquiries concerning ingestion of fungi are fairly common, particularly during the autumn when their growth is most prolific. The usual scenario is that of a small child arriving in the A&E department accompanied by a sample of some small brown fungi that he or she may, or may not have eaten. More rarely, adults present after consuming wild fungi and then, either, becoming ill or wondering if they have misidentified their meal and are about to be ill. Abuse of ‘magic mushrooms’may also be a cause of presentation.

Emergency Nurse. 8, 5, 16-21. doi: 10.7748/en2000.09.8.5.16.c1330

Want to read more?

Subscribe for unlimited access

Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:

Your subscription package includes:
  • Full access to the website and the online archive
  • Bi-monthly digital edition
  • RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
  • RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
  • 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Subscribe
Already subscribed? Log in

Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now

Or