Metallic and inorganic mercury poisoning
Clinical Previous     Next

Metallic and inorganic mercury poisoning

Nicola Bates Information officer, National Poisons Information Service, London

Accidental contact with low mercury concentrations usually requires no treatment, but in some instances it can result in neurological damage and mortality. NICOLA BATES describes the various treatment methods

Mercury is a naturally occurring element that is most familiar in its metallic form as the silver grey liquid, known as quicksilver, in thermometers and sphygmomanometers. Mercury compounds are also used in the chemical, pharmaceutical and photographic industries, and in dentistry in the form of dental amalgam.

Emergency Nurse. 11, 1, 25-31. doi: 10.7748/en2003.04.11.1.25.c1110

Want to read more?

Subscribe for unlimited access

Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:

Your subscription package includes:
  • Full access to the website and the online archive
  • Bi-monthly digital edition
  • RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
  • RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
  • 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Subscribe
Already subscribed? Log in

Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now

Or