Alison Dines Information Officers, National Poisons Information Service (London)
Grainne Cullen Information Officers, National Poisons Information Service (London)
Acute poisoning from lead ingestion is relatively rare, but chronic exposure can have significant morbidity. Alison Dines and Grainne Cullen discuss the clinical effects and management of lead poisoning
Although the general population may be exposed to lead from numerous environmental or occupational sources, acute lead poisoning, especially seen in the A&E setting, is rare. However, a case of unrecognised chronic exposure may present with serious acute symptoms and treatment can be complex and prolonged.
Emergency Nurse. 9, 4, 16-21. doi: 10.7748/en2001.07.9.4.16.c1363
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to the website and the online archive
- Bi-monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now