Full-thickness burns due to contact with gastric acid
evidence and practice    

Full-thickness burns due to contact with gastric acid

Rob Fenwick Lead advanced clinical practitioner in emergency medicine, Emergency department, Heartlands Hospital, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, England
Rebecca Price Advanced clinical practitioner, Emergency department, Heartlands Hospital, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, England

This article describes the case of a 33-year-old man with cerebral palsy who sustained a full-thickness burn to his thorax as a result of lying in gastric acid that had leaked from a damaged percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy feeding tube. The patient required referral to a tertiary burns centre for specialist management. The article highlights the potential harm caused by gastric acid and why some patients may be particularly vulnerable to such injuries.

Emergency Nurse. doi: 10.7748/en.2019.e1941

Peer review

This article has been subject to external double-blind peer review and has been checked for plagiarism using automated software

Correspondence

robfenwickrn@googlemail.com

Conflict of interest

None declared

Fenwick R, Price R (2019) Full-thickness burns due to contact with gastric acid. Emergency Nurse. doi: 10.7748/en.2019.e1941

Published online: 06 June 2019

Want to read more?

Already subscribed? Log in

OR

Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today

Save over 50% on your first 3 months

Your subscription package includes:
  • Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
  • Customisable dashboard featuring 200+ topics
  • RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
  • RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
  • Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests
Subscribe
RCN student member? Try Nursing Standard Student

Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now

Or