Acute poisoning: exposure to diy products
Clinical Previous     Next

Acute poisoning: exposure to diy products

Nicola Bates Information officers, National Poisons Information Service, London
Zoe Tizzard Information officers, National Poisons Information Service, London

NICOLA BATES and ZOE TIZZARD describe the clinical features and treatment of exposure to the most commonly used DIY products in domestic environments

Home improvement is an increasingly popular pastime and there is a wide range of decorating DIY products available to the general public. Accidental exposure in the home may occur following splashes or spills, or when products are not used safely, for example in inadequately ventilated areas or without protective clothing. Adults may also be poisoned after deliberate ingestion or inhalation of products. Although intentional exposures are rare, they tend to result in more severe toxicity.

Emergency Nurse. 10, 8, 26-31. doi: 10.7748/en2002.12.10.8.26.c1088

Want to read more?

Subscribe for unlimited access

Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:

Your subscription package includes:
  • Full access to the website and the online archive
  • Bi-monthly digital edition
  • RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
  • RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
  • 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Subscribe
Already subscribed? Log in

Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now

Or