Search query:

Filter by date

Results 1 - 10 of 34 Search Tips

Treatment of patients with haemochromatosis

22 April 1998

Nursing Standard

Clinical

Haemochromatosis is an iron storage disorder that leads to an increase in iron levels in the body. The basic physiology and fundamental genetic mechanism is unknown,...

Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a common but overlooked cancer

01 November 2007

Cancer Nursing Practice

Clinical

Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) is a form of leukaemia that predominates in patients at around 65 years of age. Some patients can live for decades with CLL,...

The ‘new genetics’ and nursing: what does it have to do with me?

26 January 2000

Nursing Standard

Art & Science

Recent developments in genetics mean that this previously specialised subject is now essential knowledge for all nurses. Heather Skirton and Christine Patch describe...

Genetics and disease

28 April 1999

Nursing Standard

CPD

This article describes the fundamentals of genetics and its influence on the transmission of disease.

Von Willebrand disorder

14 April 1999

Nursing Standard

Art & Science

Von Willebrand disorder (VWD) is a disorder of blood coagulation. It has similarities with haemophilia but with some important differences which are described in...

Losing a child to spinal muscular atrophy

01 April 2008

Paediatric Nursing

First person

Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is a genetic disease that affects mostly children but also some adults. There are Types I, II, and III that affect children, and Type...

Losing a child to spinal muscular atrophy

01 April 2008

Paediatric Nursing

General

Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is a genetic disease that affects mostly children but also some adults. There are Types I, II, and III that affect children, and Type...

Genetics: Overview and issues in child health

01 August 2004

Paediatric Nursing

Continuing professional development

When the normal growth and development of a child fails it can cause major developmental and clinical problems. It is important that nurses understand the rationale...

Genetics: Overview and issues in child health

01 July 2004

Paediatric Nursing

CPD

When the normal growth and development of a child fails it can cause major developmental and clinical problems. It is important that nurses understand the rationale...

Screening for familial cases of colorectal cancer: a new practice environment

01 May 2005

Cancer Nursing Practice

Clinical

While approximately 80 per cent of patients with colorectal cancer have sporadic disease, the remaining 20 per cent appear to have a genetic or familial component to...