evidence and practice
How to ensure a successful general practice nursing placement
Nick Puffett Advanced Nurse Practitioner, Winchcombe Medical Centre, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, England
Sophie Turley Nursing Student, University of the West of England, Bristol, England
• To enhance your knowledge of the professional and personal benefits of supporting general practice nursing placements for students
• To recognise that showcasing the variety and diversity of opportunities in general practice through placements may offer one way to address workforce shortages
• To be aware of policy initiatives that require significant increases in the number of general practice nurses
One in three general practice nurses are due to retire in 2020. Workforce shortages are intensified by government initiatives that emphasise care closer to home. General practice nursing offers exciting and diverse opportunities, including treatment room roles, specialist chronic disease management and advanced practice. Practice placements offer one way to attract future nurses to the specialty, and the number of placements must be increased.
This article examines the benefits of and the barriers to a successful nursing student placement in general practice nursing from the perspective and experience of a mentor and student (the authors of this article). It identifies how forward planning before the placement begins can enhance the student’s learning experience.
Primary Health Care. doi: 10.7748/phc.2020.e1628Peer review
This article has been subject to external double-blind peer review and has been checked for plagiarism using automated softwareCorrespondence
Puffett N, Turley S (2020) How to ensure a successful general practice nursing placement. Primary Health Care. doi: 10.7748/phc.2020.e1628
Accepted 2 December 2019
Published online: 01 April 2020
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to the website and the online archive
- Bi-monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now