Do you have the skills to communicate with patients who are deaf?
Rebecca Lennox Second-year adult nursing student, Liverpool John Moores University
Robyn Mills Mental Health Nurse, Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust
Why all nursing students should learn basic British Sign Language
Communicating clearly with patients is integral to the delivery of safe and effective nursing care, and the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Code states that reasonable steps must be taken to meet people’s language and communication needs.
36, 1, 25-27.
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
Your subscription package includes:
- Full access to nursingstandard.com and the Nursing Standard app
- The monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now