Know your competence
Marc Cornock @Academiclawyer2 Qualified nurse, academic lawyer and senior lecturer at the Open University
As a student, what should I do if I am asked to perform tasks outside of my competence?
When a qualified nurse asks you to perform a task, two things must be agreed: the delegator must be sure they are acting appropriately, including making sure you are competent to carry out the task, and you have to be sure you are competent to perform the task.
Nursing Standard. 32, 4, 28-28. doi: 10.7748/ns.32.4.28.s26
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to nursingstandard.com and the Nursing Standard app
- The monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now