Spotting a need sparked the innovator in me
Our 2019 Innovations in Your Specialty award winner explains how an idea during a student placement became a viable product that’s making life easier for patients
While on a placement as a nursing student at Kingston University I noticed patients were not using their prescribed compression stockings. Failure to apply them can increase risk of developing a deep vein thrombosis so it’s important that medical aids are easy to use and comfortable. In addition, this represented a waste of resources and an inconvenience to patients and nurses.
Nursing Standard. 34, 7, 30-31. doi: 10.7748/ns.34.7.30.s15
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to nursingstandard.com and the Nursing Standard app
- The monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now