Cardiovascular health and thyroid function in older people
Ruth Sander Independent consultant, Care of older people
Thyroid hormones have significant effects on the cardiovascular system. In general, high levels of thyroid hormones, or hyperthyroidism, are associated with an increased risk of altered heart rhythms, such as atrial fibrillation. Reduced levels of thyroid hormone found in hypothyroidism may cause atherosclerosis.
Nursing Older People.
31, 3, 10-10.
Want to read more?
Already subscribed? Log in
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
Your subscription package includes:
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- Customisable dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now