evidence and practice
Introduction to living with advanced dementia series
Margaret Brown Senior Lecturer, Alzheimer Scotland Centre for Policy and Practice, University of the West of Scotland, Hamilton, Scotland
Debbie Tolson Professor of Dementia and Director of the Alzheimer Scotland Centre, Alzheimer Scotland Centre for Policy and Practice, University of the West of Scotland, Hamilton, Scotland
• To recognise the importance of evidence-based best practice for people living with advanced dementia, delivered with compassion and dignity
• To be aware of the exceptional advanced nursing practice skills and knowledge required to deliver evidence-based care
• To identify the main challenges experienced by nurses, nurse leaders and nurse educators in delivering evidence-based care to people living with advanced dementia
This is the introductory article in a six-part series in Nursing Older People exploring the nursing care of people living with advanced dementia. It discusses the complex and progressive array of nursing required to meet the needs of individuals, the provision of personal care, learning and leadership, meaningful activity, and palliative and end of life care. A main theme of the series is the exceptional nursing skills and knowledge required to deliver evidence-informed care with compassion and respect for people living with advanced dementia.
This introductory article provides background information to contextualise advanced dementia and identify the main challenges facing nurses, nurse educators and nurse leaders.
Nursing Older People. doi: 10.7748/nop.2020.e1169Peer review
This article has been subject to external double-blind peer review and has been checked for plagiarism using automated softwareCorrespondence
Brown M, Tolson D (2020) Introduction to living with advanced dementia series. Nursing Older People. doi: 10.7748/nop.2020.e1169
Published online: 01 April 2020
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Try 1 month’s access for just £1 and get:
- Full access to the website and the online archive
- Bi-monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal
Already subscribed? Log in
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now