• To recognise how to conduct effective appraisals
• To be aware of the benefits of regular performance management
• To enhance your knowledge of how to structure appraisals and performance reviews
Annual appraisals, which are mandatory in most healthcare organisations, are crucial for enhancing staff performance and embedding a culture of continuous improvement within teams. Appraisals can be usefully complemented by ongoing performance reviews, which support nurse managers and staff to identify and address issues in a timely manner. The term ‘performance management’ often has negative connotations, but it can be a powerful tool for staff development and positive learning experiences. This article supports nurse managers to understand how to adequately prepare for and conduct appraisals and performance reviews.
• The way in which nurse managers approach performance management, including annual appraisals and reviews, is paramount to the quality of patient care.
• Investing time in people is crucial for effective performance management.
• Appraisal meetings should be structured around a review of past performance and a discussion of future objectives.
• Regular reviews enable nurse managers and staff to identify and address performance issues as they arise.
• Open, constructive and respectful discussions can foster a positive work environment where staff feel valued and empowered.
‘How to’ articles can help to update your practice and ensure it remains evidence-based. Apply this article to your practice. Reflect on and write a short account of:
• How this article might improve your practice when conducting annual appraisals and performance reviews.
• How you could use this information to educate nursing students or your colleagues on the appropriate techniques and evidence base to conduct annual appraisals and performance reviews.
Nursing Management. doi: 10.7748/nm.2022.e2065Peer review
This article has been subject to external double-blind peer review and checked for plagiarism using automated software
Norman K, Pearson L, Knight K (2022) How to undertake annual appraisals and ongoing performance reviews. Nursing Management. doi: 10.7748/nm.2022.e2065Disclaimer
Please note that information provided by Nursing Management is not sufficient to make the reader competent to perform the task. All skills should be formally assessed according to policy and procedures. It is the nurse’s responsibility to ensure their practice remains up to date and reflects the latest evidence
Published online: 18 October 2022
Alternatively, you can purchase access to this article for the next seven days. Buy now